Cop 'Upset' By Speeding Woman's Dying Dad Lie, Arrests Her

8/26/2013 06:30:00 PM 0 Comments

                                
A New Hampshire cop was so miffed when he discovered an "emotional" woman had lied to him about speeding in her car to get to her dying father that he later went to the woman's house and arrested her for driving with a suspended registration.
"I'm pretty used to people trying to bend the truth to get out of speeding citations, but this woman preyed on my emotions as a human being," Christopher J. Cummings, the state trooper who made the arrest, told ABC News today.
"She told me her father had stage four cancer, that he was breathing only six breaths a minute, and that she was trying to make it to the hospital before he passed," Cummings said.
Cummings pulled over Carley Williams, 28, of Nashua, N.H., on Friday night for speeding, he said.
"I was parked along the turnpike with my radar unit when I saw the vehicle travelling 82 mph in a 65 mph zone," Cummings said. "I took her driver's license and asked a question that I ask everyone I pull over. I asked if there was an emergency."
That is when Williams told her elaborate lie, the trooper said.
"There was a good act that went along with it," Cummings said. "She seemed pretty emotional. It made me believe that this person was legitimately telling me the truth."
After taking down Williams' information, Cummings returned her license and allowed her to go on, but not before he asked for the name of her father and the hospital.
"She was cooperative. I told her to please slow down and allowed her to continue," Cummings said.
Still, Cummings felt the need to verify Williams' story.
"I called the hospital where Williams told me her father was a patient and asked if he was there. They told me he wasn't."
Surprised, Cummings decided to conduct an online search of Williams' name along with her father's name.
"That is when I found her father's obituary on a funeral home website. He died in 2008," he said.
"I was upset," Cummings said, "For someone to lie about their deceased father just to get out of a speeding ticket was pretty upsetting to me as a person."
After further investigation, Cummings discovered that Williams had allegedly been driving with a suspended car registration. He could not tell ABC News why her registration was suspended.
"Driving with a suspended registration is a misdemeanor in New Hampshire," Cummings said. "For that reason she had to be arrested."
"This wasn't personal, it was a matter of law. The violation happened in my presence, so I made the arrest," he said.
On Sunday, Cummings went to Williams' home in Nashua and he brought a copy of her father's obituary.
"She came out of her house, looking bewildered, and I told her I wanted her to explain something," Cummings said. "She looked at the obituary I had and immediately said it wasn't for her father but that it was for her uncle."
Cummings arrested Williams for driving with a suspended registration and brought her into the Nashua police department.
"That's where she ultimately confessed," he said.
Williams, who was released from jail Sunday, did not respond to repeated requests for comment. It is unclear if she has an attorney.
By GEETIKA RUDRA | Good Morning America 
  

Want you or your artists' vid or interview up. Do you own a business and would like the exposure of being on The Nerv Of Them MMMBlog!?!? Get in touch with us with one of the links below...

0 comments:

If you don't say Something how will we Know What you're thinking!??!